Sunday, April 26, 2009

Do you know these two grappling moves and how to defend / attack with them?

The first move is the move that Gomi was tapped out with. It was like a shoulder triangle with the arms. Gomi's arm was across his face and the guy had him choked from side control. Gomi got out of it the first time but the second time he couldn't. I've seen the move in Judo and grappling but maybe it was a slightly different variation. I don't understand how it was so effective. I've tried it in matwork before but couldn't tap my opponent out. What is the name of this choke and what's the key to it working?





The second move is an arm bar from kesa-gatame (side position head and arm). I've been tapped out on this before. I think maybe I wait to long before I recognize it but is there a defense against it once the arm is wrapped up by the leg? I've been able to fight it off for a while when locked up in the leg bu eventually they get it. I suppose the key is to recognize it right before the arm is taken?

Do you know these two grappling moves and how to defend / attack with them?
It is a shoulder choke. The key is to place your head against your opponent's arm and slide across his face like a triangle choke and lock your arms like a rear naked choke with one arm locked in the crevice of your elbow and squeeze. If it is not tapping him out hold and get into kesa gatame on the same side of your head that you have locked him into and walk towards his head.





The key to getting out of kesa gatame is to make sure they do not trap your close arm across their stomach. If they do trap your close arm take your free hand and push against the neck, swivel your hips towards them and swing your leg (same leg as free hand) across the neck. Another counter is to clasp your hand around their waist as they are going for it and swivel your hips under them and roll them over your stomach. Last counter is to push both hands on the neck and swivel your hips toward them and swing your leg across their neck.
Reply:I know what you are referring in the first one...is it where you put one of your arms through the opponents armpit and the other through the opposite side of the neck and lock your arms?





I beleive it is a choke in judo, and its defense is almost the same as trying to defend against triangle.


No comments:

Post a Comment